the Disease is a short story by F-22 "raptor" ace, published on the Gang of Five starting July 1st 2017 and readable here. It covers Hans Donitz' death from Shelton's disease and the effect his death has on others living in the desert settlement.
Ten years after the end of Disruptive Selection, Hans and his son Werner have moved into the desert settlement that initially sent the terrorists that invaded Pelvanida. Werner is serving as their leader now that Hans has grown too old, and has also started a relationship with Pomson, the daughter of the former leader. Werner shows Pomson a newspaper detailing Shelton's recent unexpected death. Pomson is uninterested in anything to do with Werner's former friends, so the two visit the dining hall and wait for the chef to finish tonight's dinner. After some time, they're urgently summoned by the doctor's assistant because Hans has fallen unconscious. The doctor somberly informs them that Hans has died, just as suddenly as Shelton, and Pomson comforts Werner.
- Werner Donitz
- Hans Donitz
- doctor's assistant
- Halsey (mentioned only)
- Rudyard Shelton (mentioned only)
- Oscar Shelton (mentioned only)
- This is the first new Darwin's Soldiers story posted in over three years, since the publication of Byte Me in May 2014. This is also the first story written by f-22 "raptor" ace.
- With this story's publication, Mirumoto_Kenjiro and Lbt/cty lover become the only two authors from the original role-play who haven't written a story.
- This is the only story whose title has the first word uncapitalized.